On Another Shore

I stood up, wincing at the spasms of pain that moved though my body. For a moment I was confused, and through my blurry vision I saw only a great patch of dark and light, and I heard no sound. But quickly the pain passed, and both my senses and mind grew clear. Through the glass of my helmet I saw swath of blue sky over top of the dusty ground on which I stood. At the horizon was a range of mountains, sharp grey teeth capped in white.  I turned around, feeling my heavy boots grind against the dirt, and I beheld a strange sight. There were no trees, grass, and no plants of any kind. No bird flew through the sky, and I saw only rocky hills, devoid of details. I turned around again, looking across the horizon, but saw nothing except shades of stone grey against an endless sky. 

I was utterly confused. At this point in time, there should no doubt be forests here. Or at the very least, grass and other growing things, but here there was none. I thought to myself, had the machine malfunctioned? Had I been send to the wrong point in time? Worried, I took the navigation unit out from the pocket of my suit and turned it on. There was no way to know at which point in time I existed now, but based on the power readout, I had travelled back much further than I expected. To my surprise, however, the waypoint on the display was active and nearby, a few kilometres Southeast. I began to walk in that direction.
	
I was fairly comfortable inside my suit, and when I checked the environmental readouts, I was thankful for it. Though temperature outside was reasonable, the amount of oxygen in the air was somewhat under the breathable level. I frowned. A strange feeling was growing the back of my mind; Not only did I not know when I was, but I did not think I was supposed to be here. The apparent lack of life was unnerving, and I glanced frequently back over my shoulder, expecting to see something there, yet finding nothing. I activated the voice recorder to make my first of the mission.

'Log One. Time is plus four minutes. There may have been a malfunction during the jump. The power level was over forty thousand, and I don't recognize where or when I am right now. I haven't seen any signs of life, plant or animal. External oxygen level is a bit low at fifteen and a half percent, but the temperature is twenty-three degrees. There are some mountains to the North,  at least fifty kilometres away, maybe more, so I don't think I'm at a high altitude. If I am, I'm on some kind of plateau we didn't anticipate. It's sunny, and seems to be some time after midday. End log one.'

I continued to walk. Surroundings changed very little, but now the landscape was dotted with larger stones and boulders. I followed the direction on my device, and the wheels of my mind turned furiously. The artifact we used to send me back, or perhaps forward, into whatever time time period this was, must be what my GPS was picking up. I knew the inner workings of the time machine well, and it was fundamentally based on the concept whereby we could access a point in the past by using an object which was created at, or near to, that moment in time. If I am alive and uninjured, and my GPS gives a reading, then it must be the case that the artifact, or at least some part of it, came into existence at this point. But what disturbed me greatly was the fact that all the experts I had consulted had placed the age of the supposedly human-carved artifact at somewhere between twenty-thousand and one-hundred-thousand years old. Ancient beyond all memory, but still from a world much like my own. Now I walked in a place that looked strange and foreign to me, my only comfort the familiar shine of the sun overhead.

Time passed, and I recorded a new message. 'Log two. Time is plus twenty-eight minutes. Everything has been the same so far, for the most part. There are still no plants or animals. The terrain is rocky, with some boulders as large as a meter wide. I don't see any clouds. The ground may be starting to slope down somewhat-' I paused, noticing a glint of light off a ways off. 'I think I see something, maybe a pool of water, I'm going towards it.' As I got closer I saw that my assessment was correct. 'Yes, there's a small pool here, in a gully. There's something else here too.' I squinted my eyes to be sure what I was seeing was not a result of the bright sun reflecting off the water, but it was in fact real. 'It looks like some kind of moss or algae, growing at edges of the water. There's nothing else that I can see there.' The green stood in stark contrast to the endless grey I had been seeing before, and it provided a small degree of relief knowing that there were at least some living things here. I stood back up and looked across the horizon. 'I can't see any other bodies of water. At least there's something. End log two.'

My nerves were calmed somewhat, and I rested for a short while before continuing. Though small it was, the mossy growth at the edge of the pool made me feel like I was not alone, and this was still the world I knew. The fact of it's own existence, that it was more than mere stone and that was truly alive, comforted me. When devoid of living things, the rock and sky, even in broad daylight, seemed to take on a strange quality; A kind of monumental but lifeless presence that was utterly opposed to my own existence.

I checked my GPS once again and then continued to walk. It would not be much further. Now my mind turned to more practical concerns. Now I was not so convinced that this time period was so empty, since my hypothesis had just been disproved. There was still the faint possibility that I had gone back roughly to the time I had anticipated. Perhaps as far back as two hundred thousand years. The landscape, and both flora and fauna, should be relatively the same. But I knew it was possible that there were things about the past we did not know. Perhaps this area had undergone some kind of environmental catastrophe akin to a volcanic eruption or something similar. I was no geologist, but I thought it to be entirely possible that this specific area of the Earth looked different but the rest was the same. And at some time in the future it would be repopulated and become like I knew it in my own time.

This thought was somewhat comforting, but there was another possibility that I grappled with in my mind. First, I was beyond convinced that the artifact we had used as the time anchor was artificially carved. Call it foolishness, but the curves and angles that had been worked into the stone looked as if they had to be made by some hand. A few of the experts that I had consulted with had disagreed, and thought there was still the possibility that it had happened naturally, but I did not believe so. If my conviction was true, then there must have been someone to carve it. I did not think further about this point, partly to preserve my own sanity, but also based on the fact I could not do much about it now, other than continue in the direction I was going. I could not return, anyways, until I found what I was looking for.

Now at this point in my hike I was going slightly uphill, and could not see to the horizon in front of me. There was no path, but the rocks and sand were well-packed and it was not too difficult for me to traverse. I came near to the crest of the hill and when I had come just over it, I stopped. The scene before me pushed away all my current worry and fear and replaced it was sheer awe and marvel. Ahead was a glistening sapphire ocean, nearly as wide as the sky was, stretching out before me. It was calm, and no waves broke the surface, but it still shone in the sun by some unfelt sea breeze. The shore was ahead of me, and somewhat down the hill, and further out I could see small stony islands and the dark shapes of undersea rocks in the sand. 

'Log three. Time is plus one hour and sixteen minutes. I can now see an ocean of some kind, or at least a body or water where I can't see the other side. I didn't see it earlier because it had been behind a hill. I guess I was at a lower altitude. I've been going on an incline for some time. I see some islands near the shore and I think that's where the artifact is. Hopefully the water is not too deep. I don't think I can swim with this thing on. End log three. '

I checked my direction and I was towards the shore, which despite my view was still a few kilometres away, and somewhat of an angle to the beach itself. I looked backwards to the sharp mountains behind me, and now I understood I had been in somewhat of a bowl or slight valley, and had no idea I was this close to the ocean. I had always been fond of the sea, and its unexpected presence brought me some degree of familiarity and peace, and least for this moment. I began my trek down the hill and towards the shore. 

As I came closer to the edge of the water, the ground flattened but was still strewn with large boulders and spires of rock. I saw more instances of moss and lichen growing around small puddles and dips in the ground, but so far no other life. I looked both ways down the shore and still saw no trees or bushes. It was then that I saw something which caused my to stop in my tracks and stare. I had not noticed earlier, but now I was standing a few meters away from a series of rocks which had been stacked on top of each other, forming a kind of spire. I moved closer and verified that they were indeed separate rocks which had been set on top of each other, and not just a single piece of rock in that shape. There were no tracks or marks around it, or any kind of writing anywhere. I stood mouth agape, until I finally decided to glance around and see who had constructed this. But again there was not any other living thing aside from the small patches of green algae. 

Someone had built it, however. There was no other possible explanation. As I turned in circles I caught sight of another similar stacking, and then another. This disturbed me greatly, much more than when I thought I had been alone. I felt hot in my suit, and as if there were eyes peering at me from behind a boulder or just outside of my view, but I saw nothing. Then I activated my recording device once again.  

'Log four. I'm not alone here, I can't be. I haven't seen life besides moss, but I just found some rocks that had been clearly stacked. Three instances so far. I assume that some group of peopl must have passed through here at some point, or maybe used this area as a hunting ground for something. I haven't seen any other signs though. My locator shows the artifact about a kilometre away, on one of the islands. I don't know, something isn't right here. I'm afraid I've gone back further than we predicted. Maybe it'll make more sense once I find it. End log four.'

I had now reached level with the ocean, and it's deep emerald blue stretched out before me, in perfect stillness. All that stuck out were a small series of stony islands near the shore, only a few hundred meters out. As I drew closer I saw that the water in between me and the rocks looked lighter, perhaps more shallow. The ground below me was a course sand, dark in colour, without any other debris strewn around. I met the edge of the water and stopped. My GPS indicated the artifact should be a short distance out from the shore, no doubt on one of the small islands ahead of me. From where I stood out to them the was a peninsula of gritty sand and wide smooth stones only a few inches below the water's surface. I was glad, as I did not want to risk swimming. Once again, here at the shore, my fear and anxiety left me and I felt a simple peace at looking over the sea, and watching the small waves move gently across the sand and against my boots. But though many things here were familiar and pleasant, the deep fear returned quickly, and I felt once again like a stranger in this place. Another time, and seemingly in another world.

I walked through the shallow water, the sand unexpectedly stable underneath my feet. As I got further out and closer to the islands, the sand bar began to narrow until it was only a few meters wide, and I worried it might not reach all the way out. However, the water was still below my knees, and I hoped it would not get any deeper. Though the water was calm, the gentle waves and my own movement disturbed the surface and distorted the sand and stones below. I looked down often to make sure I did not stumble, and suddenly something caught my eye. A stone, which was a different colour from the others, seemed like it had moved. I was startled, then bent down to peer into the water, standing still and waiting for the waves to calm. But even though the water was not quite still, I saw what lay under the surface. I did not step back or flinch now, because the reality of the situation had become clear to me. I felt the hair on my body stand on end as I watched a round, brown-shelled creature crawl slowly across the sand mere inches from my boot. It was a trilobite, clearer than any image I had seen before. I reaching into the water and picked it up. Had I been in any other situation I would not have had the mind to do so, but the creature itself, even with it's many grasping legs and segmented body, did not revolt me. However, my hand shook as I held it. I could feel my pulse increasing as the understanding about my situation set in. I dropped the creature back into the water. It moved away swiftly, leading my eye out into deeper areas. I stepped closer to the drop off, and beyond it I saw more things move. Peculiar shapes darted through the water, and along the bottom, well lit by the bright sun, more creatures crawled.

I stepped back, and turned again to the rocky islands not too far off. I felt my skin crawl underneath my suit. This idea had been festering in the back of my mind, that maybe I had travelled back further than we had anticipated, but this was almost beyond my understanding. It must be a mistake then, and I hoped that when I reached the island I would not find the artifact; but instead only bare stone which would need to wait innumerable eons before being carved into what we had known it as. But I feared that would not be the case. 

As I came near to the bare, rocky islands at the end of the sand bar, I more frequently saw trilobites and other small creatures crawling and swimming about in the shallow waters around me. The sea no longer seemed familiar. I did not feel at ease when I watched the waves lapping the stony shores ahead of me. This was not the world I knew, and I did not wish to be here any longer But to return I would need the artifact, or at least to be close enough to it. 

I stepped onto the shore of the island, not much more than an outcropping of large, tall boulders. I knew my goal was not much more than a dozen meters away, but suddenly I felt afraid. I wanted to go home. The life in the sea did nothing to comfort me, as the were little more than monsters, things which had resided at the margins of history, and now were alive, all around me. I walked more carefully now, moving slowly across the uneven rock to the back side, where the artifact surely must be. As I rounded the edge, suddenly it came into view. A short distance away, set on the ground, was the artifact itself, completely intact. In the state I had known it before, it was greatly worn down, with a wide cylindrical shape and faint markings on the sides. Now in it's original state, the shape was clear. It was a hexagonal prism close to a foot tall, with sharp, well defined edges, and many lines and notches on the flat sides. I stepped closer and more of the same kind of object came into view. There was more than two dozen of these stone blocks scattered around the immediate area, with another many which had been stacked into a wide and low pyramidal shape, though not yet complete. Many of these hexagonal blocks had markings on their sides, but each one seemed different, or at least had too much detail to tell. I stared at this jumble of bricks, unable to understand what these were all for. As I looked closer, I saw that many of the blocks were wet. This was odd, because there was not a cloud in the sky and there had been no rain since I arrived, and likely for a while before. I was impossible that these were not carved by some individual, but I still saw no one around, nor did I see tools of any kind. 

I studied the artifact along with the rest of the duplicates, when suddenly something moved in the corner of my eye. I was startled, and turned quickly to look at the shore beside me. Something had already risen several inches from the water, and I stood paralyzed watching the rest of it emerge. From that primeval water came a creature unlike any I had ever seen. It's head, which came out first, was similar to that of a crab or lobster; made from a hard and shiny pale shell, with a sharp insect-like mouth-part. Along the sides of it's head were two pairs of black compound eyes on stalks, which another on the centre of its face. It was shorter than a man due to it's hunched stature, but wider, with a thick-shelled segmented body. It came out of the water upright, but along it's front were a series of clawed limbs and fins, perhaps four pairs or more. It stood on a pair of what were in between hind legs and fins, which were folded backwards like a horse's. In it's many claws it held two more hexagonal bricks against it's torso. 

My mouth was dry, and my pulse beat like a drum in my ears and chest. I wanted to run, to leave this place and time and never return, but for the moment I could not move. The creature stood motionless for what seemed like minutes, looking directly at me. Though it's grotesque form made the hair on my body stand all on end, it's eyes had an intelligent, haunting depth to them. It seemed to be analyzing, perceiving, thinking. Then it moved forwards, lurching and dragging it's feet in a strange way, and placed the bricks on the ground. I wanted to run, but this was in fact what I came here to find, in a way. The creature turned it's attention back to me, but made no sudden movements. I was able to calm myself for a moment, and relax my stance. Then in it looked towards one of the blocks on the ground, and back at me. Slowly I moved towards the brick and then hesitated. The creature stared but did not move, and I took this as encouragement to continue. I bent down and picked up the hexagonal block, which was heavy in my hands, but smoothly cut. I saw the side which had been facing away from the sun was still wet. The creature looked to it's side, where stood the low pyramid it had constructed from the other blocks. So far it was only about the height of my waist and several arm lengths wide, but from the pattern of the blocks it was clear more was still to be added. The creature returned its glance to me, and stepped back slightly. Hesitantly, I came towards the pyramid and placed the brick in a spot where I anticipated another would go. The moment the brick was set, the creature made a clicking and hissing sound, at which I stepped back quickly. However, it made no aggressive move, and only returned my stare. Then, without any other indication, the creature turned around and waded slowly back into the water. 

Once it was fully out of view, I looked back at the structure. It had not moved or changed, and it sat with a heavy stillness. I glanced at my GPS, which blinked green. The artifact I used to come here, the block I placed, it's signature had been picked up by the suit's system, and I could return to my own time. I would go, of course. I had no intention of staying here. But for the moment, I looked out over the sea. The sea over which no gulls flew, and under which that creature crawled or swam, carving stones somewhere in the depths. Here, in this past beyond all pasts, I wished I was alone.